Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eat More Kale!

We love kale!  We really do.  We enjoy it many different ways, but our favorite way is.....(drum roll, please) KALE CHIPS!  YUM!  Super YUM!  Get the point?
 Let me tell you how to turn kale into a delectable treat!  We seriously argue over who gets the last one! :)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Wash your kale and tear it off of the thick stem.  I love lacinato (or dinosaur) kale for other dishes, but curly kale is best for kale chips, we think.
Rub your kale with a bit of olive oil.  A little bit goes a long way.  You really want to "massage" the oil into the kale to soften it up.  Then sprinkle delicious nutritional yeast flakes (aka nooch) on top and rub it in too.  Sprinkle with salt.  At this point, try it.  It is very good, and my friend Kaecey loves to eat them this way.  I like them better baked a bit.
(Note:  If you don't like nutritional yeast, then leave it off.  They will still be delish.  I write this for my husband, who has not yet learned to appreciate the delicacy called nooch!)
Bake for about 10 minutes and then check them.  If you want them crunchy, you may need to leave them in for a few more minutes.  Try them and see how you like them.  I guarantee you WILL like them!
Really, you cannot see how delish these are.  They are crispy (if you leave them in long enough), salty, "cheezy," addictive....trust me.  I prefer them not as crispy, but my children like them well done.  

I'm not sure that this is the healthiest way to eat kale.....they are cooked quite a bit, they have oil added.... but they are delicious and a great way to get kids excited about kale.
I have only three more words to leave you with before I go into the kitchen to make me some kale chips........



No comments:

Post a Comment