Friday, March 2, 2012

Salad Bar Dinner



Fresh baked (easy) oatmeal bread

This past summer, on the way to our favorite camping site, we stopped by a Whole Foods Market for lunch.  It was at that time that we discovered a new passion.....eating at the Whole Foods' salad bar!  We all had fun choosing from the yummy, healthy choices.  I mean, where else can you find tofu on a salad bar?  Yum!


So, one night as I was trying to think of ways to make salad more appealing to my children, I thought of WF and their salad bar.  Why not create one at home?  After all, part of the fun of a salad bar is the idea that we can CHOOSE what we want.

Salad Bar Dinner:
Prepare any greens that your family likes (spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, whatever....).  I chop mine up, as my kids like them better that way.


In small bowls, prepare any toppings that your family likes.  I use some or all of the following:
corn
green beans
chopped up carrots
small tomatoes
cut up cucs
baked tofu cut up into pieces
homemade tempeh bacon
homemade croutons (any salad is better with croutons!)


Then I put out 2 or 3 homemade dressings.  That way everyone can choose what they want!  With a side of homebaked bread, we've got a complete, healthy meal......and not as costly as the WF salad bar! :)

                                                            barbecue tofu...so delish!
Enjoy!                                

No comments:

Post a Comment